Wednesday 12 October 2011

The city never sleeps

I took a trip on the subway downtown to see what I could of the Ground Zero site. The trains are tiny but they run really frequently and are super quick.

The waterfront down near the financial district is really quite pretty.

The only view I could get of the Ground Zero site was in this artrium. Tickets for the 9/11 Memorial Site are booked out 4 months in advance. The Atrium was destroyed when the towers went down but they have since rebuilt it. Apparently, when the towers fell the force was so great, the palm trees in the middle of it blasted out like spears into the Hudson River behind. Clearly none survived but they have replaced them and it really is a nice place.









On the way uptown I was crossing a road and this huge group of skateboarders came skating down one of the main streets, in a hurry to get/get away from somewhere! The 'line' of boarders must have lasted at least 10 minutes, absolutely fascinating.

I wanted to revist the Metropolitan Museum of Art since last time I had less than an hour to take it in. On second visit it was just as amazing and after both visits, I think I only saw at most 10% of the collection. One of the great things was to see how many people were drawing and making art in it. Not just a museum but a living, breathing part of the culture.


























The city might never sleep but I certainly needed some after two and a half frantic days in New York and off to Calgary in the morning early.

No comments:

Post a Comment